Dick provides his clients with expert advice on commercial law matters
With 20 years’ experience, Dick has handled matters for companies and private clients in Australia and overseas.
Before commencing a career in legal practice Dick held senior management roles in diverse industries including transport and logistics, online retail, investment banking, and retirement and aged care.
In performing general commercial work, Dick draws on his broad understanding of business drivers to understand his client’s business and to provide practical and relevant advice. He is commercially focused and committed to achieving the most favourable outcome for his clients.
Dick has a particular interest in franchise operations and their regulation and compliance, having provided advice on the Franchising Code of Conduct in its various forms since its introduction in 1998.
Dick has also acted as a non-executive director of an ASX-listed technology company. He was on the due diligence committee for the Initial Public Offering and acted as the chairperson of the audit committee.
Dick has experience in the following areas:
- Advising start-up and SME businesses as to business structure, shareholder agreements, intellectual property protection, and contract drafting and interpretation
- Developing franchise agreements including master franchise and sub-franchise agreements, operations manuals, and disclosure documents
- Advising on legal and commercial aspects of a franchise business
- Advising on business and franchise sales, and restructure of operations
- Advising on employment and industrial relations matters, including workplace health and safety obligations
- Advice on compliance with Australian Consumer Law
- Management of intellectual property portfolios including trademarks and copyright
- Protection of confidential information
- Privacy matters, data security and privacy policies
In his spare time, Dick enjoys spending time with his family and enjoys training for and participating in road and trail running events.